RIP

acheron.org discussion board: RIP Threads: RIP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Argon (wlv-a4-d0013.ftel.net - 205.138.219.45) on Wednesday, March 10, 1999 - 01:26 am:

I tried RIP the other day, but the archaic RIP draw program (i think it was called Tombstone) seemed hard to use.. Any coders out there working on implimenting RIP in current drawing programs? (coughETOcough)

Does anyone else think RIP programs are hard to use?

Argon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By ripperman (darth.nls.fi - 195.156.38.2) on Wednesday, March 10, 1999 - 04:45 am:

that's the purpose of rip, more hard ass work & sweat =).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By God among Lice (bootp-231-230.bootp.virginia.edu - 128.143.231.230) on Wednesday, March 10, 1999 - 07:14 pm:

One of the reasons rip drawing programs are hard to use is because the nature of the ripscrip protocol only allows those limited drawing tools. There is no airbrush or spray-paint tool. :)

Basically the only thing rip drawing programs can address is the interface. I'd agree that tombstone artist kinda sucks. I think the main reason it's so popular is that it's stable. :P There's also the original Rippaint, but not too many people have that since it wasn't shareware. Most of the people who have it have cracked versions. The one other editor I know of is Deadpaint, which was my favorite when I was drawing rips. I thought it easily had the best interface, and was customizable. Another great feature (not sure if it's in the other editors) was that you could select and move things after they've been drawn. I don't mean the rubber stamp thing that copied an area and pasted it, I mean it actually would change the resulting rip code so that it was drawn in a different place in the first place. The biggest problem was that it was unstable.. it crashed a lot for me. And it doesn't really work at all on this computer that I have now.

So yea.. one of the main reason I gave up rip was the shitty drawing programs. If someone (like eto or skaboy, hint hint) could come up with a good program that works, then maybe I'd give it another whirl sometime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By rippazman (darth.nls.fi - 195.156.38.2) on Wednesday, March 10, 1999 - 11:14 pm:

lice, you forgot the pcx-importer! :D
in deadpaint, first import a lightcoloured pcx image (or outlines) to background and just draw the curves over it with deleting the pcx jiggle nuggets after the werk...

what rip really needs is competition, charts etc. or improvements like jpg2rip to make it Rest In Peace..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By nightstalker (grissom.tvd.be - 195.162.196.12) on Thursday, March 11, 1999 - 12:12 pm:

from now on, everyone who draws his rips with the curve tool , i will personally kill ! :)

anyway .. i use ripaint. a lot of people think it's a lot harder than tombstone artist, but once you get used to it's easy :)

jpg to rip or gif2rip or stuff like that would never work: everyone could see the picture is ripped (because of the way it is drawn).
I do agree on the matter about 'rip really needs competition'.
nice to see some action again in this forum :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By the fattest Pacifist ( - 195.196.38.145) on Wednesday, March 17, 1999 - 12:51 am:

well, i just wanna say that every other rip program besides tombstone sucks.. no disrespect in it but the other ones are so damn unstable and shit..

yeah and that gif2rip shit, if you cant draw plain rip, dont draw it at all.

yeahyea, but my main question is, is the rip scene all dead? i mean, now that souls's dead and all. and i haven't seen a rip-piece in any ice pack lately.. the same for all other groups.
i say that we (the inactive rip motherfuckers) should try to draw something for a change and that way get others interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By bymman (dialup49-4-37.swipnet.se - 130.244.49.229) on Thursday, March 18, 1999 - 01:24 am:

what about plf? nstalkie, pike, atre and now you makes a pretty decent rip crew... doesn't it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By rippa (ppp08-as0-melbourne.alphalink.com.au - 202.161.103.8) on Thursday, March 18, 1999 - 01:32 am:

unf unf, polyester has krl.. THE mr. krinkle, and fat pacifist..yeah thats my addition..

that reminds me, fat..talk to me!@ :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By fattest pacifist (t1o86p9.telia.com - 62.20.182.9) on Thursday, March 18, 1999 - 09:09 am:

oh yeah =)

now i remember polyester ;) ..and pLF!@#$

yeAHHHH!@# pOFF POWAH!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By rippa (gamma.alphalink.com.au - 203.24.205.17) on Friday, March 19, 1999 - 03:27 pm:

haha, fat, any chance of you drawing before april the 1st? you're on IRC now but youre idle like fuck.. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By God among Lice (bootp-231-230.bootp.virginia.edu - 128.143.231.230) on Monday, March 22, 1999 - 10:39 pm:

hey.. I bet you guys didn't know that there in fact IS a gif2rip converter that was made. :)

And it SUCKED. :)

Basically it would end up making a rip file that recreated a gif by drawing a whole bunch of dots and very short horizontal or vertical lines. I'm pretty sure it was designed only for small icon images. I tried doing a fullscreen pic once and the .rip file ended up being like 2 megs or something. :)

And yes, it would be completely obvious if anyone ever used this program.. it's almost like taking a gif and recreating it pixel by pixel with the dot tool. :P

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By fat pacifist ( - 195.196.38.146) on Wednesday, March 24, 1999 - 12:20 am:

hey rippa, yeah i'm and idle fuck right now =)
and yeah i think i'll be able to doodle something up before april 1st..
peace

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By rippa (melnc01.bigpond.com - 139.134.27.10) on Sunday, March 28, 1999 - 04:32 am:

fatty: WIKKED..any ways email it to rippa_@hotmail.com if i aintaround.ooer youve got 3days =0

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: